Maha Shivratri 2021: Why Do We Celebrate the Festival? Maha Shivratri 2021 is just around the corner and it has a huge significance for every Hindu devotee. It is one of the top best festivals in India. If you don’t know why we celebrate Maha Shivratri then, this article will help you. It will brief you Maha Shivratri 2021 and significance of this day.
When is Maha Shivratri 2021?
Maha Shivratri every year falls on the 14th day of every lunar month. In simple words a day before the New moon. This year it is on 11th March . It is one of the most popular festivals during February-March with great spiritual significance.
Why do we celebrate Maha Shivratri?
There are different stories associated with origin and history of Maha Shivratri. Some of these stories are:
1. Firstly, people believe that Lord Shiva married Goddess Parvati on this day. So, this day we celebrate as the day of love and union of two pure souls.
2. Another significant story is Lord Shiva consumed the poison to save God and mankind. The consumption of this poison turned him blue. The poison is lodged in his throat.
3. Another famous story associated with Shivratri is that of God Sadashiv. People believe that he appears in the form of Lingodhbjav Murti at midnight. So, people stay awake in the hope to offer pray.
4. People also believe that Goddess Ganga descended from heaven in full force. Lord Shiva caught her and locked her and later, released her on Earth in the form of streams. This helped in preventing Earth from destruction.
Read Also: Best Places to Visit in Summer in India
What we do on Maha Shivratri 2021 and Importance of Shivratri
Maha Shivratri is a festival to offer prayer to Lord Shiva and to celebrate his existence. People on this day spend their day in prayer, meditation, and celebration. MahaShivratri 2021 Festival is celebrated in India in different ways like:
1. On this day, people observe fasting for full day. Fasting helps in detoxifying the body. Therefore, on Maha Shivratri day people fast with fruits or food that is easily digestible.
2. The position of constellation on the light of Maha shivratri is perfect for meditation. So, people on the day of MahaShivratri stay away and meditate.
3. You can chant “Om Namah Shivay” which is a perfect mantra to chant on Maha Shivratri. It helps you to gain positive energy and positivity towards life.
4. Some people engage in Maha Shivratri puja and offer prayers to Lord Shiva. You can be a part of Rudra Puja which brings purity and positivity to the environment.
5. Shivling is the symbolic representation of Lord Shiva people worship Shivling and offer Bel-Patra and milk.
Maha Shivratri is the day of new beginning and opportunity. This day has great significance in Hindu calendar. Do offer prayers on this special occasion to Lord Shiva and all the negative energy will eradicate from your life.
Hope Maha Shivratri 2021 brings happiness and positivity in your life!